Saturday 28 May 2011

Kickin' off the holiday with colour...

Hey!

Happy Weekend! It's the start of a week off for me, and a bank holiday for us here in the UK (and if I'm not mistaken, the start of a long weekend for American peeps too!) Hurrah for long weekends :D

I've been squeezing in an inky session in an attempt to play along with Paper Craft's Color Inspiration Challenge #5. These colours aren't my usual ones I turn to but I fancied a challenge...

Firstly a very, very CAS design with just tiny elements of the two bold colours:

sweet lil' princess

I'm hoping you can tell that the gem in the tiara is pink! It was orignally clear, but I coloured it with an alcohol-based marker. FYI: I don't buy coloured gems often: I have a huge stash of clear ones and colour them as required to coordinate with my projects.

After creating this card I felt like I'd 'cheated' myself a little and only dipped my tiny toe into the pink and orange waters. So I played along again and promised myself to use more of those bright colours and take the opportunity to contrast them against the black on a bigger scale:

happy happy birthday

I followed the 'rule of three' when it came to balancing those bright colours on this card: three strips of orange and three pink elements (The strip, the gem and ribbon) help to ensure the bright colours don't lead your eyes to just one element of the card and guide your eyes to take it all in (hopefully!)

Right, I've got even more cards to make with a whole rush of family birthdays coming up (including my own soon....guess I don't have to make a card for that one though; I've not had any requests yet!) so it's a good job I can grab more time this week to get inky and have fun in the process. Hope you all manage to squeeze in some inky therapy time too!

Catch ya later!






Card Deets
{Sweet li'l Princess}
Stamps: Daily Designs, Daily Designs Sentiments (Papertrey Ink)
Ink: Tuxedo Black (Memento)
Cardstock: Stamper's Select White (Papertrey Ink)
Accessories: Clear Gems (Hero Arts) Promarkers


{happy happy birthday}
Stamps: Birthday Bash Sentiments (Papertrey Ink)
Ink: Versamark
Cardstock: Stamper's Select White, Orange Zest, Raspberry Fizz (Papertrey Ink)
Accessories: Detail White EP (Stampendous)/Pink Gem (Hero Arts)/Raspberry Fizz Grosgrain Ribbon (Papertrey Ink)

13 comments:

Emma said...

So much fabulousness I can barely stand it. 1. your princess card is too perfect and 2.how striking is your black number - LOVE the touch of the sticky out ribbon.

Did I mention what an AMAZING friend you are! Thank you SO much my sweet for the most feltyliscious and perfect purse (Honestly I have had to have it near me to at all times to stroke) unfortunately the chocky didn't stand a chance and was gratefully snaffled last night - super yum!

You're the best!

Debby said...

Loving both cards Aimes, but the second one is pushing my buttons! Love the balance and dramatic pops of colour.

Maureen said...

THUD!! Did you hear me fall in the studio? Oh, my Aimes, you have outdone yourself...the first card is "diva" sweet, but the second one? Pure Genius!! I'm expecting to see this as the winner for sure! Everything about it is perfect...design heaven :) hugs!!

Sharron said...

Fantastic, Aimes! Love the classy little princess card. And card #2 is just stunning--such a beautiful design & great use of colors!

Monica K. said...

They are both so awesome! Love the bold pops of color with the black. Very cool cards!

Jenny said...

Gorgeous cards, love how simple and effective they are. Brilliant flash of pink and orange on the second card :)
Jenny x

~amy~ said...

soooo very fab girlie...woot woot for long weekends!

Lynn said...

Oh my goodness girl...I love those stripes on your second one...you rocked the color challenge...and I never use black as my background. Thanks for even more awesome inspiration!

Arlene said...

Love both cards a lot! Love the boldness of the second. Great cards. :)
Arlene.

Katie Berberich Handmade said...

Fabulous tip with the gems Aimes, I'll have to remember that one!
2 very stunning cards but I have to say, it's the first one that does it for me! I love it in fact :)
Enjoy your week off.
Katie x

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Oh wow, love these CAS look!

Andrea M said...

AMAZING CAS cards Aimes! Love the pop of pink on the first (I buy clear gems and color them too - instant customization :)). The second is so gorgeous too - love the graphic look with the stripes. I was thinking, it would look amazing with melon berry stripes too *wink* :) Pinning this card to Pinterest for sure!

Shobana said...

WOW WOW! That birthday card is to die for! Simply stunning! :)

Post a Comment

Copyright/Disclosure

I am on various design teams and receive free product to use and promote. I geniunely love the products of the companies and all opinons are honest and my own.

I'm flattered if I've inspired you and you want to CASE anything of mine, but please don't enter it for commercial publications or competitions.
Thank You!
All designs, text, and photographs on Crafting Confessions are ©2009-2016 to Amy Gray unless stated otherwise.